Have you already started your PhD? Come and visit Melbourne

Are you doing your PhD in Germany or are you a student undertaking a PhD somewhere else? Is your research to do with climate change, or the transition of our energy systems from a natural science, economic, technical, or social science point of view? Would you like to boost your research with a visit in Melbourne?

Become a PhD exchange visitor!

As the Australian-German College, we especially welcome current PhD students from our partner universities in Berlin (Humboldt University and the Technical University of Berlin) as well as the University of Potsdam. Even if you are researching your PhD elsewhere, we may be able to host you for a period of research at the University of Melbourne. If you are interested, please email manager@climate-energy-college.org. We will provide you with the vibrant research environment, desk space and non-financial support for accepted students (see financial support options below). And if your expression of interest is positively reviewed, we will be happy to assist you to facilitate your research visit here, write letter(s) of support for funding applications and advice on visa processes etc.

For German PhD students

DAAD Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst

German PhD students can apply for DAAD support to have a 6 or up to 12 month research visit with the Australian-German College of Climate & Energy Transitions here in Melbourne. Please let us know, if you are interested and we are happy to assist.

What does DAAD offer?

The German Academic Exchange Services offers both, "short-term" (<6 months) and "year-long" (7 to 12 months) stipends to support you as PhD. You will receive around € 1,300 per month, plus support for your travel and insurance costs. For more details, eligibility criteria and the application process, please visit the respective DAAD web pages:

Short-term (<6 months) visits

Long-term (7-12 months) visits

What do you have to do?

You will have to file an application for either a short or long-term PhD stay ("Kurzstipendien" or "Jahresstipendien fuer Doktoranden") with DAAD directly. The forms and the application procedure is described on the DAAD web pages here: https://www.daad.de/ausland/studieren/stipendium/de/70-stipendien-finden-und-bewerben/

For your application to be successful, it is important that your exchange visit in Melbourne will be a key part of your PhD. For example, it would be preferrable if one of your co-supervisors were here at The University of Melbourne. Thus, please contact us (e.g. stefanou@unimelb.edu.au or malte.meinshausen@unimelb.edu.au) and we will make our best effort to get you in touch with a potential co-supervisor and help you with a recommendation letter for your DAAD application.

By when?

You can apply with DAAD for a short-term exchange visit (<6 month) at any time, but at least six months prior to your intended visit here in Melbourne.

For the long-term (7-12 months) stipends, there are two deadlines per year set by DAAD. Apply by 30 September for your exchange visit beginning from 1 February. See more details on the DAAD website.

For German Post-Docs and Master students

While we are primarily a College for PhD research, please feel free to contact us in regard to Master-thesis exchange visits or if you are currently completing post-doctoral studies in the area of climate change, or the transition of energy systems from a natural science, economic, technical, or social science point of view. There may also be suitable DAAD programs to assist you, if you come from Germany. For further details, see the DAAD webpage at: https://www.daad.de/ausland/de/

DAAD Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst

For post-doctoral researchers, another very worthwhile option are the Marie Curie International Outbound Fellowships from the European Commission. See here: http://ec.europa.eu/research/mariecurieactions/about-mca/actions/iof/

If you think the College may be the right academic environment for your research, and if you are happy to organise the funding via DAAD or the European Commission or other means, then please feel free to contact us.

Finally, Melbourne Global Mobility provides resources for incoming students applyting to study at the University of Melbourne for six month or a year: http://www.mobility.unimelb.edu.au/inbound