Value of Aligning Dispatch and Settlement
Author: Dylan McConnell12
1Melbourne Energy Institute (University of Melbourne)
2Australian-German Climate and Energy College (University of Melbourne)
Download full report here.
- More storage capacity is required with 30-minute settlement to realise the same value as under 5-minute settlement.
- The impact of forecast errors has a substantial impact on the value of storage under 30-minute settlement.
- The value of storage under 5-minute settlement is generally 60-80% higher than under 30-minute settlement.
- 5-minute settlement also significantly improves the value of storage in real world cases when the occurrence of price spikes is not perfectly known. Approximately 80%-90% of the 'perfect value' can be captured with 5-minute settlement. By comparison, only 40%-60% of the 'perfect' value is captured under 30-minute settlement.
- 30-minute settlement increase cap contract prices from storage by up to 30% relative to the 5-minute settlement case.
- Cap contract penalty payments can substantially erode the value of providing fast response.